From the people who created the look themselves, here’s how to recreate the 1930s inspired hairstyle from Ralph & Russo’s couture show.
Here's how to recreate the art deco hairstyle from Ralph & Russo's couture show
Heading to one of the most famous streets in Paris earlier this year, Ralph & Russo’s Creative Director Tamara Ralph presented her Autumn/Winter Haute Couture collection in the British Embassy of France, located in the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
For the AW19 Haute Couture collection, Tamara Ralph was inspired by Art Deco era of the 1930s. In particular, she took inspiration from the creative works of artist Erté, who captured the period within his work.
And of course and hairstyle to match was created alongside the look.
On the look, Ralph told A&E: “We worked very closely with Larry King to perfect a stylish up-do that exuded femininity and elegance, and that also resonated with the 1930’s Art Deco era, which was a key inspiration for the collection.”
The design is incredibly intricate and each strewn with pearls, as the Creative Director on the brand explained: “With the collection being influenced in part by the works of Erté, specifically his Les Bijoux de Perle, and featuring so many bejewelled elements, we felt the pearls really completed the look and tied in nicely with the collection.”
Larry King himself added: “Tamara’s beautiful Art Deco collection required something more intricate and romantic than the rather boyish hair trends of the 1930s. So Tamara and I took inspiration from the beautiful portraits that adorn the walls of the British Embassy in Paris.
“It was like the models had stepped out of oil paintings enchanted by the pearls and intricate designs of the 1930s inspired collection.”
And here’s how to recreate the look according to the stylists themselves:
- Prep the hair, by blow drying with Dyson supersonic to create a workable hair
- Find your middle parting and scrunch in Larry King Volumizing Mist.
- Take a few sections of hair and, starting an inch away from your hairline, plait them backwards all the way to the nape of your neck.
- Take the remaining hair and roll it from the sides, creating French pleats.
- Take the plaits and place them along the fold lines of the rolls and pin into place.
- Scatter pearl-embellished pins randomly throughout.
- Use Larry King A Social Life For Your Hair finishing cream to tease out baby hairs around the face.
- Finally set the hair with Dyson supersonic and the gentle dryer attachment.
We can’t wait to recreate the look at home.