Scientific research says suggests that food has a decisive influence on the immune system, the way our body defends itself against disease.
Therefore what wat we eat and drink during this time of lockdown is crucial when it comes to preparing our body against disease. Following healthy eating advice from an expert nutritionist will have a huge effect on your body’s immune system and if you were to catch coronavirus or any other disease for the matter, it will place your body in a better position for fighting off the virus.
Healthy eating is also key to keeping your energy and motivational levels up during lockdown. So a healthy body means a happy mind. Mario López, Nutrition Consultant at SHA Wellness Clinic shares his tips and tricks to eating yourself healthy during this time of uncertainty.
Reducing fat in the diet is not only a fundamental aspect of weight control, but also influences the functioning of the immune system. It’s simple: if you reduce the fat content in your diet, your immune activity increases. Research warns that maintaining the immune system requires a steady intake of all necessary vitamins and minerals. To do this, make sure you eat a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruit and vegetables. “It is essential to nourish our organism with vitamin C and antioxidants, which are vital in reinforcing the immune system”, summarises Mario López, Nutrition Consultant at SHA Wellness Clinic.
Antioxidants offer great support to the immune system because they reduce cell death and promote the development of white blood cells, which are key to destroying harmful bacteria.
Why Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that, unlike other mammals, humans cannot synthesize, but must obtain through diet or dietary supplements. “There is no doubt that it influences the functioning of the immune system. It is recommended to take between 1 and 1.5 grams a day. It has no contraindications as long as the indicated dose is respected”, explains López.
Why garlic or echinacea?
Let’s not forget four well-kept secrets: the immune power of garlic, spirulina, brewer’s yeast and echinacea. They are very economical ingredients that will bring your dishes and body to life.
Why eat better than ever now?
“You can have a good diet at home,” says Mario Lopez emphatically. “The key is to find the necessary caloric contribution, chew well, eat a lighter diet, choose well what we take, follow schedules or eat satiating food”, explains López.
- Scientific research says it: food has a decisive influence on the immune system, the way our body defends itself against disease.
- Antioxidants offer great support to the immune system because they reduce cell death and promote the development of white blood cells, which are key to destroying harmful bacteria.
- Our immune cells have a great need for vitamin C when they are actively working to fight infection.
- To keep our immune system in optimal condition, many foods can be used, and four well-kept secrets are garlic, spirulina, brewer’s yeast and echinacea.
- A good diet can be maintained at home and the key is in aspects such as finding the necessary caloric contribution, chewing well, eating a lighter diet, choosing well what we take, following schedules or consuming satiating foods.