The principality of Monaco is not just a summer destination. If you’re after a winter in the Med holiday, while the rest of the luxury destinations are deserted this time of year, Monaco attracts a cool crowd all year round. Here are just five reasons you should be hiring that private jet right now…
1. December sees Monaco get festive. Everywhere sparkles with red and green, hundreds of real fir trees take over the Place du Casino while a Russian themed Christmas village takes over the Quai Albert 1er with an ice skating rink, gourmet stalls and plenty of presents for last minute shopping.
2. Talking of shopping, luxury definitey lives here. From the individual boutiques in Old Town to international chains in Métropole Monte-Carlo, the Allées Lumières, or Fontvieille Shopping Centre – there’s plenty to keep you amused – oh and did we mention the annual sales? Don’t miss posh pop up at Monte-Carlo Pavillons in the Boulingrins Gardens, with brands like Chanel and YSL on offer.
3. Fancy the circus? Monaco has hosted the annual International Circus Festival since 1974 and this year it will be held for 20 days between 14-24 January. Each night audiences will be wowed with amazing feats of acrobatics, comedy and showmanship.
4. This month, you’ll find the Monte Carlo Gastronomy Fair in full bloom, showcasing hundreds of regional producers and artisan food from all over Europe.
5. Fancy the ballet? Take in a festive themed performance this New Year with the renowned Monte Carlo Ballet Company, from 29 December-4 January.